To understand how long the first date should last, it is important to realize for what purposes two people decide to meet. If we speak about online dating, then people simply want to hear their voices, see each other in reality, assess the manner of behavior and mimics, touch, or even maybe kiss.
If we speak about people who make acquaintances in the real world, they also want to spend time together and to get to know each other better. In any case, people decide to appoint a date when they are tired of mailing or telephone calls. Thus, let’s see how to understand how long the first date should last.
Of cause, there are no strict time frameworks. Everything is rather optional. A standard date usually lasts for 1-2 hours. But it doesn’t mean that you can’t spend time together more, or decide to go home earlier. The following tips will help choose the right duration of a date.
1. Choose a place for a date. Remember that if you decide to have a walk on a frosty winter day, your date will last for a short period. Or you can invite a partner to a cafe after a walk to warm up and continue a conversation while drinking hot tea or coffee.
2. If you do not want to go to a cafe, be ready that 20-40 minutes will be more than enough for a date.
3. If it is a summer evening, your partner is keen on walking, and you have too many common things and topics to discuss, your date can last for 3 or 4 hours.
4. You should keep in mind your partner’s preferences. For example, if she/he is fond of walking, you can stroll along the streets or alleys for hours. If your partner does not like this type of activity, then you should either go to a cafe, or your walk will be much shorter.
5. Shoes play a significant role. If you have comfortable shoes, you can walk longer, and if a girl chooses high heels, in most cases, she won’t be able to walk for hours.
6. If you appoint a date in a cafe/restaurant/pub or any other indoor locations, specify its working hours.
7. If it happens that you don’t like your partner, do not try to leave him/her within the first minutes. Still, be polite and try to spend time with pleasure. Your date should last at least 30 minutes.
8. If one of the partners (or both of them) is limited in time, then your date will be limited as well.
9. Remember that even if you plan to spend certain minutes/hours on a date, it is not guaranteed that things will go as you plan. You can choose another date ideas. You can either spend more time if you have many things to discuss and you’re pleased with your partner or shorten your date if you’re not satisfied with communication.
10. Do not follow time and do not watch at watches all the time. Let things go on.